Prescription glasses can be a great accessory. I love the classic styles, vintage inspired and original. I must say that if I had to wear spectacles, I’d choose a retro model instead of a minimal and modern one without frames or made of titanium.
Old Hollywood stars are a great inspiration. James Dean was very short-sighted and had to wear glasses all the time. He chose very beautiful models. Marilyn Monroe preferred cat-eye glasses, librarian-esque, but when she wore sunnies, tortoise Ray Bans were her favourite. Jean Seberg was slightly more modern, the frames she wore are very popular nowadays. I also love Johnny Depp‘s style, as usual, he’s the most original: he wears Moscot, a unique label that makes prescription glasses only.
My favourite labels:
- Moscot: The ones Johnny Depp wears. They are a classic, and not too mainstream.
- Persol: The most popular in movies, and they have that vintage air that looks so good.
- Ray Ban: James Dean used to wear the P3 models. Greta Garbo and Steve McQueen were fans.
- J.Crew: Jenna Lyons has popularized spectacles. She usually wears big glasses, and she looks great on them. You can find the JCrew prescription glasses here.
- Tom Ford: Watch A single man and you’ll know what I mean…
- Oliver People’s: I love their campaigns.
You can always buy a pair of sunglasses that you like and ask your optician to change the glass.
Where to find them in Madrid:
- Alohe Ópticas: Vintage inspired glasses
- Óptica Toscana: the store in 70 Hortaleza is really beautiful. It used to be a seeds shop and they’ve used the boxes with the small compartments to keep the glasses.